On Sept. 19, 2022, the Tukwila City Council awarded a new 10-year curbside recycling, compost, and garbage collection contract to Recology King County.
Previously, the city contracted these services to Waste Management.
A city report identified Recology as “the highest rated proponent.” Recology was ultimately granted the new contract due to its high level of service, diversion programs, outreach and education, and community focus.
Mayor Allan Ekberg is expected to sign the new agreement shortly, and Recology says it will begin providing collection services to Tukwila on Nov. 1, 2023.
“We are excited to continue growing with sustainably minded communities in Washington including the City of Tukwila. This new contract will provide the superior collection services that Tukwila’s residents and businesses deserve,” said Anthony Brocato, General Manager for Recology King County.
Under the contract, Recology will provide enhanced collection, outreach, and diversion services to the City of Tukwila. For example:
- Extended call center hours, open 7 days per week until 7 p.m.
- Access to in-person customer service at the four Recology Stores in King County, where customers can also drop off hard-to-recycle items free of charge (such as batteries, light bulbs, e-waste, etc.).
- A full-time Waste Zero Specialist to help customers implement improved recycling and composting programs, reducing waste sent to landfill.
- One year of free composting collection service for eligible commercial customers who participate in training.
- Residential collection trucks will service the city at least four days per week as opposed to the current one day a week, enabling better response to customer requests.
- Commercial collection services will continue 7 days per week, meeting the needs of Tukwila businesses.
- Tukwila residents can request one free annual bulky item pickup of up to 2 yards of additional garbage and up to 4 non-appliance bulky items (such as couches or large chairs).
- Curbside holiday tree collection, following the holiday season each year for residential customers.
- Recology will maintain a local customer service center and store within 5 miles of the city for the duration of the contract.
Recology is a 100% employee-owned integrated resource recovery company providing materials collection, processing, and outreach & education to customers along the West Coast. Recology finds new ways to process and reuse what was once considered waste, collecting and recovering recyclables to be repurposed into new products. Recology has more than 3,700 employees serving 137 communities throughout Washington, Oregon, and California.